Connecting & Innovating Since 75 Years for better mobility systems
Connecting people, ideas, and organisations has been at the core of IRF’s work over the past seven decades. The striking feature of this incredible journey is the outstanding picture of service that has exemplified IRF activities over the years. Innovating since the day it was created back in 1948 – 75 years ago – the Federation has been instrumental in providing leadership for global road sector development and has brought road professionals and people around the world together, and in a common mission, in a way that no other organisation could.
Through the tapestry of IRF history, one thread remains constant and unbroken, representing the people whose vision made IRF a reality and who brought it from a glimmer of an idea in post-war conditions and nurtured it into the influential and well trusted organisation that it is today.
It would be impossible to list the names of all the people who have contributed to the growth and success of the IRF. To those who have served the IRF at any time during these past 75 years – whether members, partners, sponsors, donors, volunteers – the International Road Federation extends all its gratitude and dedicates this celebration to them.
An anniversary is an important moment of lessons from the past, while also representing an open window on the opportunities that the future offers. The destination remains the same: delivering better mobility systems for all, together.
Highlighted Anniversary Events
UNECE 85th Annual Session of the Inland Transport Commitee
21 – 24 February 2023 | Geneva, Switzerland
8th Global Meeting of Non-Governmental Organizations Advocating for Road Safety and Road Victims
06 – 10 March 2023 | San Salvador, El Salvador
4th International Symposium on Freeway and Tollway Operations
26 – 30 June 2023 | Vienna, Austria
41st Southern African Transport Conference (SATC)
10 – 13 July 2023 | Pretoria, South Africa
Words from our Members
News & Media
- Transport Experts Gather in South Africa to Rethink Transportation and Celebrate IRF 75th AnniversaryUnder the theme “Rethinking transportation: planning and building resilient systems to meet global externalities” the 41st Annual Southern African Transport Conference was held in Pretoria, South Africa, on 10 – 13 July 2023. The IRF – who has been supporting SATC for several years – was pleased to join industry experts, policymakers and other stakeholders … Read more
- Highlights from the 4th International Symposium on Freeway and Tollway OperationsUnder the theme “Innovation Advances Towards the Future of Managing Traffic”, the 4th International Symposium on Freeway and Tollway Operations was held in Vienna on 26-30 June. Hosted by Austriatech and co-organised by IRF and other leading US and EU organisations, the symposium offered a dynamic platform to exchange expertise among managers, traffic engineers, practitioners, … Read more
- IRF Marks Its 75th Anniversary Celebration in ViennaTo commemorate its 75th anniversary, the International Road Federation (IRF) is supporting and organising a series of events around the world. The 4th International Symposium on Freeway and Tollway Operations held in Vienna on 26 – 30 June was high in the calendar of celebrations. The IRF convened members on 28 June to the IRF … Read more
- IRF Kicks Off 75th Anniversary Celebrations in GenevaThis is a special year for the International Road Federation as it marks the 75th anniversary of its creation. Connecting people, ideas, and organisations has been at the core of IRF’s work over the past seven decades. The striking feature of this incredible journey is the outstanding picture of service that has exemplified IRF activities … Read more
- IRF & IRU Sign MoU at the Occasion of Their 75th AnniversaryGeneva, 20 February 2023. The International Road Federation (IRF) and the International Road Transport Union (IRU) have signed today a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to reinforce their long-standing collaboration. The two organisations have a 75-year-long history that stretches back to working together on rebuilding war-torn Europe following World War II to driving road transport forward … Read more