- This event has passed.
Workshop: Innovation Driving the Future of Sustainable Mobility
March 30, 2022 @ 2:00 pm – 3:30 pm CEST
About the Workshop
On 30 March 2022, IRF was pleased to host an IRF Workshop on “Innovation Driving the Future of Sustainable Mobility”. The workshop was held in a hybrid format – in person at Intertraffic Amsterdam, and via Zoom.
New technologies are creating major opportunities for transport. Artificial intelligence, drones, digitalization, they all have a huge impact on how we plan, design, build and operate infrastructure. New technologies have created easier and cheaper ways to generate the missing data and to transform “data“ into “intelligence”. Data are key to assessing and quantifying the gap between where we stand and where we want to be and to inform action and investments. Data and new technologies are crucial, but they’re not enough.
Transforming mobility requires more than just technology and infrastructure. Transforming mobility requires innovation on all fronts: in the way we think, we plan, we design, and we deliver and manage transport systems.
The workshop not only provided an opportunity to discuss how innovation will drive the future of our sector, but also marked the launch of a new IRF Committee on Innovation. An overarching Committee with subgroups that will provide a unique platform to share expertise and knowledge and to tailor solutions (policy and technical) to the pressing issues our sector is facing.
Note: Presentations of the speakers can be found within the programme below.
Did you miss it? Watch the recording now
14:00 – 14:05
Susanna Zammataro – Director General, IRF
14:05 – 14:25
Innovating Transport Systems
14:25 – 14:55
Innovative (ITS) Technologies for Mobility Management
- Transportation Systems Management and Operations (TSMO) for Sustainable Mobility – Gummada Murthy – Program Director Transport Systems Operations, AASHTO, USA
- C-ITS Use Cases in Mobility – Christoph Bergdolt – Head of Rest of World, SWARCO, Germany
- Building Trust in Your Data – Michael Vardi – CBO, Valerann, UK
14:55 – 15:20
Innovative Materials/Tools/Techniques for Sustainable Roads
- Smart Technologies to Build a Sustainable Future – Paul O’Hanlon – R&D Project Manager, Holcim Innovation Center, France
- Innovative Technologies and Recycled Materials for Sustainable Transport Infrastructure – Clarissa Han – National Leader Sustainability & Resilience, ARRB, Australia
- Climate Resilient Sustainable Road Pavement Surfacings (CRISPS) – Mehran Eskandari Torbaghan – Lecturer in Infrastructure Asset Management, University of Birmingham, UK
- 3Mtm Roadway Safety Asset Manager – Shawn Lowry – Global Business Vice President, 3M, USA
15:20 – 15:30
Closure & IRF Commitee Launch
Matthew Baldwin – Deputy Director General, European Commission
Product & Technology
Sustainability & Resilience
Deputy Director General
Transport Systems Operations
Deputy Director General
Lecturer in Infrastructure
University of Birmingham
Global Highways Lead
R&D Project Manager
Holcim Innovation Center
Global Business Vice President