Online Course: Introduction to Road Safety Audits
October 9 – October 11 CEST
Preventive risk assessment tools, such as road safety audits and inspections, are an effective and essential instrument to help road authorities reduce the number of crashes and casualties because design standards alone cannot guarantee road safety in all conditions.
Organised by the International Road Federation together with the Qatar Transportation and Traffic Safety Centre (University of Qatar), in collaboration with the World Conference on Transport Research Society with support from Khatib&Alami, this three-day online course will look at Road Safety Audits and Inspections comprehensively as an introduction to these tools.
This course is free and open to everyone, professional or not, transportation and traffic sector, willing to deepen their knowledge, skills, and abilities to enhance their technical and professional competencies in Road Safety Audits.
This course will allow participants to:
- Learn how to focus on road deficiencies that lead to severe and fatal injuries.
- Identify the risks of a road network.
- Understand the benefits, resources and liability issues associated with the Road Safety Audits / Road Safety Inspections.
- Understand the scope of a Road Safety Audit, and correctly utilize national and international reference manuals.
- Understand the role and skills of each member of a road safety audit team.
- Understand which data sources are available to support recommendations for remedial measures.
The course will be delivered online on 9, 10 and 11 October. To visualize the agenda for each day, click to expand:
DAY 1 Saturday 9th October – 4 HOURS
12:00-13:15 [Doha Time]
Wael Alhajyaseen, Dr.-Eng, MEng, PE – Associate Professor, Qatar Transportation and Traffic Safety Center
The New Decade of Action and the Importance of Infrastructure Safety
Susanna Zammataro, Director General, International Road Federation (IRF)
General Concepts in Road Safety (Safe System)
- Course overview
- What the “Safe System” means for road & highway professionals
Introduction to Road Safety Audits II
- Requirements to undertake a Road Safety Audit / Road Safety Inspection
- Stages of a Road Safety Audit
- Projects to audit
Day 1 Wrap-Up
DAY 2 Sunday 10th October – 2 HOURS
17:00-19:00 [Doha Time]
Introduction to Road Safety Audits III
- Most frequent problems. Check lists.
- Experiences in other countries
Day 2 Wrap-up
DAY 3 Monday 11th October – 2 HOURS
17:00-19:00 [Doha Time]
Introduction to Road Safety Audits IV
- Benefits of Road Safety Measures
- What Works and What Does Not Work
Day 3 Wrap-up & Conclusions
Note: the link to register to days 2 and 3 will be shared after the first day and only to participants who attend day 1.